Sunday, 29 May 2011

Favourite Designers: Mary Katrantzou

Mary Katrantzou
I like designers who aren't afraid to be different or push the boundaries. In no particular order, I will gradually document them and my favourite collections by them within my blog, beginning with one designer who continually surpasses everyone's expectations- Mary Katrantzou.
Born in Athens, Greece with qualifications from some of the most prestigious fashion colleges in the world, including Central Saint Martins, Katrantzou constantly creates inspiring and eclectic collections that are like no other in the business. Currently working on her highly-anticipated Fall/Winter 2011 collection and having just released an exciting collaboration with Atelier Swarovski, it would seem she is in high demand in the fashion world at the moment. In my opinion, her Spring 2011 Ready To Wear collection is her best so far. Katrantzou retains the extravagant, baroque-like style that makes her work so distinctly her own, whilst simultaneously breaking down fashion barriers by sending models down the catwalk wearing furniture- namely lampshades. Lampshades! In theory, it shouldn't work. But she made it work, decorating her models and their accompanying lampshades with Seventies inspired vintage prints of luxurious interiors. When describing her latest collection, Katrantzou identified her inspirations as old issues of Architectural Digest and World Of Interiors magazines. Don't say that's not creativity.


"With this collection, I wanted to put the room on the woman, rather than the woman in the room." This one sentence entirely sums it up- it does indeed look as though the models are wearing rooms. Illusional genius from a designer at the top of her game- and still only 28 years old. What will Katrantzou do next?

Disclaimer: I totally don't recommend anyone attempting to recreate this look by wearing their parent's furniture. Mums don't like it.


6 comments:

  1. Wow, these designs are so cool! I love your blog, it would be amazing if you followed me back! X
    http://viewsofnow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. another great article and brilliant collection. I've seen these pictures somewhere, but I did not know who designed these clothes. I'm going to follow you now:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW Brilliant.
    I think I agree with you about the designer. Amazing.
    Hollie xX
    http://theholliebranch.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really interesting! Thanks for introducing me to this person's designs...
    ~Deirdre
    http://picturesofpeoplewearingclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great designs!

    http://thefashioninbox.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a great blog! I love Mary Katrantzou too, she's fab!
    If you get a chance, would you look at my blog? I just followed you btw x

    ReplyDelete

leave me a lil message if you're cool. they make me feel special