Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Rihanna to design her own fashion line

Globally known for her raunchy outfits and promiscuous songs, Rihanna may not be a shy and retiring celebrity, but she is definitely a stylish one. Her well-documented style transition from sweet Barbadian teen to worldwide sex symbol has seen her overcome some horrendous events (I mean you, Chris Brown) to reign supreme over the charts and the style stakes. And now, not content with dominating the music world, Rihanna is attempting a foray into fashion after saying she wants to design her own line.


On Kiss FM with Ryan Seacrest last week, Rihanna said, "I'm really pursuing a fashion line of my own. I want to design... I want to earn it. So I'm working with designers. Designers that I respect, and [fashion] companies that I respect. I want people to really trust me before I just say 'Buy it, because it's mine."


Rihanna getting hands on at Armani


But this isn't her debut. Rihanna collaborated with Emporio Armani Underwear and Armani Jeans last November and released a capsule collection with them including skinny jeans, casual t-shirts and sexy lace underwear. Considering the usual outfits we see Rihanna parading around in, it was somewhat understated but definitely still had sexy undertones with garments like the rock-chick biker jacket. It was also personalised with a little 'R' emblazoned on alongside Armani's signature eagle logo.


Some of Rihanna's capsule collection for Armani Jeans


As well as being the face of Armani, Rihanna has also been showing off that famous body in a series of racy campaign shots Spring/Summer 2012, not to mention this video ad, and this behind the scenes footage from Armani.




But this time, Rihanna wants to branch out on her own and create clothes that she would wear, so don't be expecting floaty tea-dresses and lots of pink. She has also made it clear that she wants to be respected as a designer, and get hands on in the design process and the creation of her clothes, instead of just being another celebrity endorsement.

There has been no word on which designers and which fashion houses she is currently working with, but Armani is most probably involved again, and hopefully other names too. After wearing Givenchy by Riccardo Tisci at the Brit Awards, rumours are abound that Tisci is involved, but nothing has yet been confirmed. Either way, as she is such a creative type and genuine style vixen, I can't wait to see what she comes up with.






Spring Summer 2012, Armani

No comments:

Post a Comment

leave me a lil message if you're cool. they make me feel special