Tuesday, 14 August 2012

London 2012 Closing Ceremony- A tribute to British fashion


Sunday night's Olympic Closing Ceremony celebrated not only the excellence of the some 14,000 athletes and 200 nations which took part, but also showcased some of the finest in British talent. And the highlight of said homegrown talent was, for me, the tribute to British fashion. Much more so than the majority of the musical acts anyway (I mean you, Jessie J. I think the world has had enough of you now). Halfway through the 3 hour extravaganza, mysterious billboards adorned with glamourous images of some of the world's best-loved supermodels were wheeled out to the soundtrack of ultimate British fashion icon, David Bowie. And then the billboards were ripped apart to reveal the real things, in all their high fashion glory.



Kate Moss, Naomi Campbell, Stella Tennant, Lily Donaldson, Karen Elson, Jourdan Dunn, Georgia May Jagger, Lily Cole and David Gandy climbed from their respective billboards and stormed the Union Jack shaped catwalk dressed head-to-toe in the best of British couture, looking shinier and more desirable than any Olympic gold medal.

In the September issue of Vogue (and online) comes a special photoshoot showcasing the specially-created, all-British designs called Midas Touch, with each model proving exactly why they were chosen to represent their country and industry at such a prestigious event. Unique creations, all different shades of glittering gold, were by some of the finest British designers of our time- Vivienne Westwood, Burberry, Christopher Kane, Erdem, Jonathan Saunders, Paul Smith, Victoria Beckham, milliner Stephen Jones and Alexander McQueen. 

A worthy representation of the best that the British fashion industry has to offer.


Midas Touch: 


Jourdan Dunn in Jonathan Saunders and Stephen Jones with David Gandy in Paul Smith


Lily Donaldson in Vivienne Westwood


Karen Elson in Burberry



Naomi Campbell in Alexander McQueen


Georgia May Jagger in Victoria Beckham


Kate Moss in Alexander McQueen


Stella Tennant in Christopher Kane


Lily Cole in Erdem

1 comment:

  1. Amazing I love the post, I wanted to dig out more about the designers,a and yes I got so happy when I saw Karen Elson and Lily Donaldson, my favorite British, besides Cara. The post is really good and science the beginning I said to myself the wouldn't avoid a tribute to British fashion! A-M-A-Z-I-N-G post!
    -S

    thetrenchcoatmen.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

leave me a lil message if you're cool. they make me feel special